Monday, September 18, 2017

Everything you say and do can and will be held against you

As many authors do I offered up my blog to feature other authors. It's something I've done in the past and until two authors flaked on me right in a row I actually enjoyed doing. Previously, I reached out to authors I knew and liked, I featured Jordan Silver, Setta Jay, Christa Tomlinson, and CE Black. All of these writers I had encountered on social media and had taken a look at their stuff and liked. I offered, they didn't ask and I was happy with every encounter. 

No secret authors featuring other authors is win-win you help an author get some exposure from people who like you and you get exposure from people who like them, good times. As I saw someone in a group I'm in ask to be featured on other author's blogs for their new release. I thought about it and decided to go ahead and offer up my blog. Then because I'm a bit of a control freak planner just having one author wasn't enough I went ahead and just made a blanket statement of offering up my blog to other authors within the group. Immediately I had responses of yes, please. One author I knew of and even though I didn't read her I was actually quite happy to get to know more about her as I'd basically just 'seen her around' on social media not really interacted with her, and was interested in knowing more. That was Ms. Felicity Brandon who I just featured this weekend, I'm glad I did. Even though I'm not into BDSM I read through her samples on Amazon and really liked her writing style and I felt very proud to have her on my blog. 

Then I got another response from another writer. At the time I basically nodded and carried on as there wasn't a time issue with him and Felicity just had a release and the author wanted another time. Once I was done with Felicity's post and hit publish I turned my attention to the other author. Huh, I remember this guy. It was that guy, the guy who felt the need to explain to me what petite was and supposedly wasn't. The guy who kept poking me when I tried to ignore him because quite frankly I don't engage trolls or assholes. Life is too short and I really couldn't care. But this guy he kept poking at me, not wanting to be ignored because he had something that I supposedly needed to hear. 

I'm not going to feature this asshole and I told him so and gave him the previous post I wrote about our encounter. You want to be an asshole, fine but I don't have to have anything to do with  your ass. The thing is if he hadn't been asshole despite me not liking his writing style and not being able to say I recommend him, I would have featured him. It actually does not bring me any kind of happiness or satisfaction to tell him I won't feature him. I've said it before and I mean it. I'm not here to do anything but help other authors, even if I don't necessarily like someone's writing or subject matter or even them as a person because of stupid shit they say or do. I'll just keep scrolling past and not engage. Even though this post is talking about that guy the greater message is: Everything you say or do can and will be held against you

Remember that, you tweet it, you Facebook post it, you snapchat it, Instagram whatever. If you put it out there to see know people will see it and they'll judge, for better or worse. For the readers especially it's a way to lose readers and it hurts the bottom line. For the writing community, it's a small world and the memories are very long. Don't make it harder for someone to want to help you out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment