Monday, September 11, 2017

It's that time again: Covers

Cover time peoples! Don't, don't do it. Don't gasp and run from the cover artist's website and think it's not worth it. Don't think this is something you can do on your own. If you have paid for editing-you better have paid for editing-don't waste your money by not paying for a cover artist. I get it, it feels like one more thing that you just can't afford anymore because you have already spent so much. Get over it or go back to your day job. 

If you are not slinging smut and you want to take this all the way then don't cheap out on this. While yes there are cover artists out there that aren't worth it there are still a shit ton who are worth every penny. Look at the titles in the top 100 best sellers both on Kindle and on the USA Today list, that's what your cover needs to look like. 

Now, on to the cover artists I've found I think you should take a look at. 

Repeats:
Cheeky Covers
Once again my cover artist, Carrie, who I still can't believe does such a good for so little. Custom covers run from $35-100. She is easy to work with and has no problem working with neurotic, twitchy writers. 

Every time I do covers I check this artist (have no idea if it's guy or girl going with girl cuz I like the idea of it being a girl) and every single time I love her work. Seriously, there are only one or two I'm eh on. All kinds of covers here, thriller, mystery, romance, chick lit, literary it's all here and it all looks so good. 
There are two different premades, one page is $85 and the other are all sale premades for $40 and they don't look any worse (okay a few of the fonts aren't that great but maybe they could change that up for not much more) the point is you can get great looking covers for less than you think that are totally worth it. 
Custom covers are $185 for ebook only, ebook and print are $235


New Cover Artists:
This is a cover artist who caught my eye on Twitter, god I love Twitter. Her premades look exactly like something you would see on a table in Barns and Noble, good placing and switching up on the fonts. I like. 
Her premades run $50 to $80 (and yes like a cheater I covet 2 on the page-but I'm just looking). Her custom covers run $220 for ebook only and $295 for the print and ebook, ouch but considering what she does with premades I would take the leap and say she looks like she's worth it. 


She doesn't have much in the way of premades but her portfolio looks so good I wouldn't hesitate to say she's worth it for custom covers that start at only  $60 (damn! totally worth it) she then goes to $120 then $175 and add on $45 for print cover. 

Aria does not do premades but her $125 for a custom ebook cover is still really good for the quality of her covers. Ebook and print will cost $165 and I seriously can't find one cover she's done I don't love. 

Someone who also doesn't have many premades but pricing is more than fair for the quality of the covers. Custom starts at $60 then $100 then $140 and for print cover add another $40


This cover artist is not just romance but also does good looking fantasy, sci-fi covers and of course those as romance. Really great portfolio. She has a decent amount of good looking premades for sale for only $59 her customs start at $150 and has a premium package for $225 for print covers add $50

I found this cover artist by complete accident, and I have to say I just love her work. It's really beautiful and it actually made me want to write something for a few of her covers. She has several premades for fantasy that range from only $40 to $102 


This is the one I've been on the fence about but I'm just going to go with it because the portfolio is overwhelmingly good. The reason why I was hesitant is that the cost of the stock photo used isn't included-personally I like to know exactly how much something is going to cost. I don't like surprises. That said, you've been warned. There are no premades and the cost is a flat fee of $150 which includes print cover and that alone makes this a value considering how good the covers in the portfolio are. 

***The link to each website is the name***

Links to my past cover blogs. I have no idea if prices have changed or the artists are still around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment