Monday, March 26, 2018

Filter words, yet another way to be a better writer

Before a beta reader flaked on me she actually did give me something to be aware of. Filter words, I had no idea what in the world she was talking about. I went hunting to find out what in the world a filter word is. 
A filter word is something that goes between an action and the reader. 

Some Examples:



(with filter phrase) I see the bee dance around the flower. 
(without filter phrase) The bee dances around the flower. 
(with filter phrase) I feel angry. 
(without filter phrase) I am angry. 
(with filter phrase) I hear a cry from the next room. The baby has woken up. 
(without filter phrase) A cry from the next room alerts me the baby has woken up.

As you can see although there isn't a huge difference, it makes the impact is there. One seems a bit rough, the other more refined. 

To help you out here are some filter words to be aware of: 

to see

to hear

to think

to decide 

to watch

can

to decide

sound like 

to notice

to be able to 

to realize

to wonder

to touch

to seem 


Just another something to watch out for when you are editing. 

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment