Saturday, October 18, 2014

Interview with the talented C.E. Black

Okay, so remember posts and posts again where I wondered if it would be a good idea to interview authors. My primary fear feeling like I was saying, hey this person is great and they suck and then I feel like people hate me or think I'm a liar. 

Those were the worries running through me as I considered C.E. Black. I had just hooked with her on Twitter I had barely read her description on Twitter how did I know if she was a good writer (everything is subjective but still) I wasn't sure and I worried. Then I got Cursed Desires and I was hmmm. I am not a huge PNR girl, I like supernatural, ghosts are my thing a psychic or even a demon maybe. The book looked interesting and it mentioned menage which in my midwest small mind is all gasp, haven't written one and don't think I will. Then as I'm reading I'm starting to wonder who is the third and then I think no freaking way, yes freaking way. Ghost sex, super duper hot! Fears exploded, I invited her and she was kind enough to say yes.



Where do you get your ideas? (Ghost sex, very hot BTW)

Truthfully, I’m not really sure where my crazy ideas come from. I think I just have an overactive imagination. I joke with my friends that my mind is not a place you want to hang out. But in all seriousness, in every one of my stories, there is a hidden truth to something from my life. For example, the idea for Cursed Desires, began with my husband and I went to Charleston for our anniversary. We love taking the ghost tours and on one particular tour of the jail, something or someone tugged on my pant leg. Before that trip, I went on a cemetery tour with some girlfriends and I remember the tour guide warning us about malevolent spirits following people home. Putting the two experiences together, I thought, what would happen if something followed you home? And of course, I had to sex it up, because, well, that’s who I am and what I write.

Do you have a typical day or routine?

Nope. I do tend to do my writing in the mornings after I get the kids to school, but other than that, I do whatever I’m in the mood for. Of course, pressing matters come first, like this interview,  and household necessities.


What do you enjoy the most about writing?

Getting these voices out of my head! I love seeing my story come to life and there’s a wild thrill knowing others read what I wrote. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of it.

How do you write, do you use outlines or is it more free flow? 

I’m a pantster. I hate doing things more than once. I’ve always felt like it was a waste of time for me. When an idea strikes, I just sit down at the computer and start typing from the beginning. Now there have been times that I’ve hit a block and then I might write down plot points for what happens in the next few chapters, but they are short, incomplete sentences that just help me get over the hump. Then I’m back to free flowing.

What made you want to become a writer? 

As a reader, I always had a problem with wanting to change the story. Not that the book I was reading was badly written, I was just curious what would happen if this character did this? Or this? And then my own stories would take shape. When I stumbled upon self publishing, I realized, writing wasn’t an unattainable dream anymore. And decided to try my hand at it. So far, I’m having the time of my life.

What drew you to PNR?

I loved reading PNR and there’s something freeing about writing it. The rules are different with PNR, because really there aren’t that many rules. Supernatural characters and the world that surrounds them can be anything I dream up.

What books or authors were your influences?

I fell in love with the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris. It was actually the first book I’d ever read with a sex scene. I was fascinated that stories like that existed. Then I read Laurell K. Hamilton and fell in love all over again. But the author that truly inspired me to write, is Maya Banks. There was something about her work that just made me think, “I can do it. I know I need practice. I’ll need to work hard, but it is attainable.” And I’ve always had the notion that what will be, will be. If I bombed, then at least I tried.

Are there any other books or authors you're reading now you really enjoy? 

I read all the time. There are so many books, by so many authors, it would take me forever to type them all out.

What are you reading right now?

Nothing at the moment, which is unusual.

What are you writing now and when will we see it? 

I’m working on a few projects, but the one I’ll be focusing on is A Shifted Wedding. It will be a novella to add to my Alpha Division Series. I don’t know when that will be out... When I finish. :) Hopefully, in a few months. This month, I will have a new story released in a Halloween anthology called Grave Hauntings. Nine authors bring nine sexy, spine tingling stories and it will be free. The tentative release date is October 15th.

1 comment:

  1. Looks Amazing, Fiona!! You're a sweetheart for having me on your blog. Thank you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete